Many times I face problems due to wrong air intake pipe line to the compressor. Hence I will like to share important information on intake pipeline of compressor with you.
Purchasing compressor from reputed compressor manufacturer as like Atlas Copco, ELGI, Ingersoll Rand, Kirloskar, Chicago Pneumatic etc. will not the guaranty of trouble-free operation.
All Engineering concern staff must have overall knowledge about the efficient running of the utilities. So, it will better help you obtain the highest performance from the compressor.
You can also watch and Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for Engineering Educational Videos, by clicking here https://goo.gl/4jeDFu
In an air compressor, the performance of the compressor is mostly depended upon the quality of air which has been sucked by air suction filter element.
The air compressor will give the best result when a clean air has entered the cylinder. As it is imperative that the air sucked by air compressor should be clean, dry and also cool.
Hence, it is advisable to fit an air intake pipe to be taken towards the clean atmosphere. Then mount the air suction filter.
So, How to Design Air Intake Pipe Line of Reciprocating Air Compressor
01) The air intake pipe line should not be located in the vicinity of any delivery pipe line which is normally hot. It is advisable that the compressor should suck air as cold as possible. It means your compressor or suction filter should not near boiler or furnace.
02) The air intake pipe system should be sized so as to give a low-pressure drop. Keep air filter near to compressor.
03) The velocity of air through the intake pipe line should be about 400 meters per minute.
04) Avoid unusually long pipe line as it will increase the resistance to flow of air. Hence increase pressure drop, thereby resulting in loss of air compressor capacity.
05) Many times we required using long pipes; it is advisable to use large radius bends, which gives minimum resistance to air flow.
06) Air intake pipe line should be painted with a rust-preventive from inside. This will avoid any rust or foreign particles to be sucked into the cylinder.
07) At certain critical lengths of intake, pipe resonance may occur; it is imperative therefore to correctly design the intake pipe line. Especially consider pipe length and diameter to eliminate resonance.
08) The air intake pipe line must have proper support. So that it does not transmit any undue load to the compressor.
09) To avoid the vibrations, which may transmit to the wall and building, intake pipe line must not be rigidly attached to walls or ceilings.
10) It is advisable to have independent air intake pipelines for each air compressor.
I hope the information will help you to understand something about intake pipe line.
Besides this information, you are suggested to read something more from below engineering books
To get the more details about the topic, I further recommended reading
If you like the post, share it with your friends and also on social sites. click the bluebell to subscribe