Actually, Cylinder is the part of air compressor which doesn’t require to be removed for a long time or never also.
Due to some reasons as like breakdown or cleaning of Inner Head, cylinder required to be removed from compressor unit.
In double stage, reciprocating air compressor or multi-stage reciprocating air compressor, low pressure and high-pressure cylinders are used. Hence the removal procedure is same for all cylinders.
This doesn’t require too much technical knowledge but you have to follow some procedure for disassembling the cylinders.
The general instructions given here for disassembly and reassembly applies to all compressors. The reciprocating compressor may manufacture by Ingersoll Rand, Chicago Pneumatic, Kirloskar, it doesn’t matter.
You can also watch and Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for Engineering Educational Videos, by clicking here https://goo.gl/4jeDFu
So, The Important Procedure to be followed for Disassemble the Compressor Cylinder
01) Closed cooling water inlet and outlet valves. Drain water from the cylinder by opening drain plugs provided at inner and outer heads. Open both cylinders water jackets and remove water.
02) Close discharge air service valve and unloading air valve. Remove all Air from air receiver, if the compressor has separate Air Receiver.
03) Remove Inter-Cooler and After-Cooler, if fitted. Also, don’t forget to remove water from these parts.
04) Remove Suction Filter and discharge pipe, if the compressor has only one cylinder. If you have to remove high-pressure Cylinders, remove only discharge pipe.
If you have to remove low-pressure Cylinder, remove suction filter only. This is applicable to double stage compressor.
05) Mark suction and discharge side of Cylinders and remove all suction and discharge valves also.
06) Remove nut and bolts from an outer head and remove outer head from the cylinders.
07) Loosen the crosshead nut and turn compressor piston rod out of the crosshead and remove the nut from the rod.
08) Push piston from a cylinder with a block between crosshead and piston rod. Remove piston assembly with the help of two or three people, as applicable.
09) Remove nut and bolts of inner head or frame end. Remove compressor cylinders from unit along with the inner head.
10) Remove inner head from the cylinder.
Besides this information, you are suggested to read something more from below engineering books