Lubricant Oil is the important media of lubrication in an air compressor so, due care required to be taken about lubrication oil and its level.
In old air compressors, two numbers of a visual screw (Indicators) are provided. The lower indicator indicates a lower level of lube oil while upper indicator indicates a required level of lube oil.
Nowadays only one lube oil level indicators are provided, in which you have to maintain lubrication oil level up to the red mark or at half level. This much oil in the crankcase is more than sufficient.
In lubricated or non-lubricated air compressor lubrication of important reciprocating air compressor parts are done by lubrication oil with the use of oil pump, strainer, oil filter etc.
You can also watch and Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for Engineering Educational Videos, by clicking here https://goo.gl/4jeDFu
Some Important points to remember about Lubrication Oil
01) Never mix two different brands of lube oil. If you want to use other brands of oil, drain existing oil completely and cleaned frame thoroughly before filling other brands of oil.
02) Maintain correct oil level. Low oil level will cause foaming due to a mixture of air and oil. Higher oil level will cause excessive high oil temperature.
Hence you have to maintain the normal working oil temperature will be 70-degree centigrade.
03) It is necessary to drain periodically condensed water, sludge and other impurities accumulated at the bottom of the crankcase, before making up the required level of oil.
04) Replace crankcase oil at 50 working hours after commissioning of the compressor. It is not practical to state definitely how often the frame oil should be changed because operating conditions vary from site to site.
However, it is recommended to change the oil after every 3000 working hours or every six months, whichever is earlier.
05) Always keep a close watch on lubrication oil pressure shown in oil pressure gauge. Any indication of low oil pressure must be investigated and rectified at earliest.
Oil filter must be replaced after every 1500 working hours or after every 3 months.
Besides this information, you are suggested to read something more from below engineering books
To get the more details about the topic, I further recommended reading
If you like the post, share it with your friends and also on social sites. Click the bluebell to subscribe