This done by passing the water through a water wheel.
India is the inventor of water wheels which then taken to Egypt and then to Europe and finally to America.
These water wheels are originally made of wood and can be seen in Technical Museums even today.
300 years back Water Wheel is taken as a model for the systematic design of Water Turbines.
After the invention of the water turbine, a lot of research is being conducted all over the world to improve its design and performance.
Nowadays Turbine is known by each and every Engineering background person.
So, Here it comes Different Types of Water Wheel for Energy Transformation
Depending upon the driving action of the water, the Water Wheels are classified asunder,
- Wheels are driven by weight of water
- The Wheels partly are driven by weight of water and partly driven by impulse of water
- Wheels totally are driven by impulse of water
Construction of Water Wheel for Energy Transformation
The construction of water wheel is very simple and anybody can understand it very easily.
Generally, a water wheel consists of a central hub and a circular wheel.
The numbers of buckets or vanes are mounted on the periphery of the wheel.
The water is delivered to the wheel at some convenient point on its circumference, which falls into the buckets or strikes the vanes.
Due to weight or impulse of the water, the wheel starts rotating.
In old days Water Wheels are used to lift the water from lower end to higher end.
This will help in irrigation in agriculture.
This technology is very rarely used nowadays but it was very useful in ancient days. Nowadays water turbines are used to generate hydroelectric energy.
Water Wheels have some advantages and have some disadvantages also.
Advantages of Water Wheel in Energy Transformation
- They are simple and strong in construction
- They are suitable even for low water head
- Even if the discharge is not constant, they give constant efficiency
- They are cheap in cost
- They required very less maintenance
Disadvantages of Water Wheel in Energy Transformation
- The speed of Water Wheel is very slow
- By comparing their capacity to produce power, they are heavier and bigger
- Their speed cannot be easily regulated
- For high water heads, water wheels are not suitable
Besides this information, you are suggested to read something more from below engineering books
To get the more details about the topic, I further recommended reading
- A Textbook of Hydraulic Machines
- A Textbook of Hydraulics, Fluid Mechanics, and Hydraulic Mechanics
- Textbook of Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machines
- A Textbook of Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machines
So, here you know very little about water wheel. Hence Further Recommended Reading Water Wheel of Impulse Type – Primary Source Edition, Principles of Construction and Efficiency of Water Wheel and Principles of Construction and Efficiency of Water-Wheel
If you like the post, share it with your friends and also on social sites. Click the bluebell to subscribe